8.04.2016

Meeting Claire Grace

When we arrived at the hospital to check in there was only one worker available. There was a young couple sitting at the window and she was very upset. I realized as we were standing there patiently waiting that she had had a miscarriage. It broke my heart. It made me think of how lucky we were to be going up stairs to finally meet this girl of ours. It was all I could to not cry as I stood behind them. I felt so sad as the girl came over to check us in knowing that they could hear exactly what we were saying. I had to remind myself that God has a plan for everything and that in that moment I needed to pray for their comfort and be so grateful for the joy that I was about to feel. It was a very bittersweet start to our journey. I think that God was reminding us to be joyful and grateful for our girl.

We got checked in and headed up to the second floor. It was a little like checking into a hotel at first. They put us in our room and we sat for a few minutes then a whole herd of nurses made their way in and had me in a gown and a bed. Then inserting my iv and hooking up all of these gadgets to my body. The iv in my hand was so painful. The nurse had me bleeding all over the place. J was just staring at me asking if I was okay and I was so stressed out about all that was going on around me. My mind was completely overwhelmed. Something I didn't realize I would feel for quite some time after this day was the overwhelmed feeling. Dr. Smith came in about 20 minutes later and started inserting the balloon. She informed me that I would feel quite a bit of pressure and it might be a little uncomfortable for most of the night but she had prescribed me plenty of pain meds and said that I needed to get plenty of rest. She also stripped my membranes so that things would move along a little faster. That part was really painful and I remember crying and feeling so scared and still so sad for the couple downstairs. Anytime I was in pain, I tried to remind myself that is was so much better than the pain they were feeling. 

My parents came to sit with us for a little while. I think my poor dad was feeling pretty anxious and that they both just needed some reassurance that I was okay. The initial feeling I had from the balloon was mild discomfort. The nurses kept asking if I wanted some pain medication but I really wasn't in pain, I was just uncomfortable. I didn't see the point in taking the pain meds. I wasn't trying to be tough but I didn't think I needed pain medication. They insisted that I eat something because I wouldn't be getting anything after midnight until I had a baby. I was starting to get more uncomfortable and couldn't think about eating because my abdomen was cramping so much. My parents grabbed us both a sandwich and we watched tv and hung out until about 9 pm. After they left we agreed we should try to get some rest so we turned out the lights and started watching tv. I proceed to have even worse cramps. My back was hurting so bad. I could not stand laying in the bed and so I would get up and sit in the chair and walk around. J kept saying you have to rest but I was in so much pain. Little did I know these were real contractions I was having. The pain was so intense. I started having to breath my way through it and finally the nurse insisted on pain meds and hooked me up to the monitors. These contractions were getting pretty close together. After I layed in bed miserable for another hour I called the nurse back in and said what else can you do for me. I can't take it. She gave me an iv medicine that knocked me right out. I was so grateful to her. My pain level went from about a 7 to a 1. I could feel the contractions happening but they didn't hurt anymore. She had to give me the medicine about every two hours throughout the night but at least it kept me asleep. 

She came in and woke me up at 6 the next morning. I took a shower, fixed my hair and put on makeup. I felt really great and wanted to look half way decent when I met this best girl of mine. 
I think my husband thought I was crazy but I had to feel good today. Doc came in around 7 am to remove my balloon. The exciting news was I was at 6cm!! She was so pleased with such an improvement from the day before she broke my water and they started the pitocin. It was the strangest feeling when she broke my water. I don't think the J and I were expecting that at all. It was a huge gush of water.The nurse had me changing positions all throughout the day. Occasionally more water would come out in a gush unexpectedly and we would be so shocked everytime. About noon I was starting to have to breath through my contractions again so they recommended that I get my epidural. I finally agreed and because of all of the pain meds I had already taken it was a fairly painless process. I could definitely feel the pinch but it wasn't so bad. My left side felt a little funny for a few minutes but then I was right back to all of my crazy positioning. They hooked me up to internal monitors and inserted my catheter. I remember that I slept a whole lot after being hooked up to all of this. They had a giant peanut shaped ball between my legs and made me swap sides periodically.

At 3pm Dr Smith came back to check me. I was so excited because I just knew I had to be getting close to having this baby. However she was sad to inform me that I was still only at 6 cm. She also seemed sad to tell me that I was going back to have a c-section. I asked when that would be taking place and she said just as soon as the nurses got me prepped we would be making our way to the OR. J went out to inform my parents and came right back to get dressed to go with me. About 10 minutes later we were making our way down the hall. The OR was so dang cold! I couldn't quit shivering. I think part of it was also my nerves. I was so scared. This was the first major surgery that I was having and I didn't know what to expect. They got everything ready around me and tried to keep me warm but I was just wondering where J was because I didn't want to be alone.

Finally, they let him come in and they started cutting on me. Shortly after the initial cuts I realized that I could see everything that was happening in the reflection of the light above me. I saw a sweet head appear and then everyone started rushing around and then brought a tiny girl to meet me. She was so goopy and scrunched faced. I remember asking why she wasn't crying because I was just so scared that something was wrong. They took her to clean her up and I watched them clean me out and sew me back up. Although I know I wasn't supposed to be able to see I'm so glad that I could. That made the experience so special for me.

J finally brought the baby back over to me. I felt so overwhelmed. I didn't know what to think. I was so scared at that moment that I wasn't having the right reaction to her. I was still so cold and scared about everything that was going on. I had this huge fear that something was going to go wrong with my procedure and that something was going to happen to me. I know it was a crazy fear but it is exactly how I felt. It took me a little while to get over even after we were back in our room. Once I was sewn up and back in my bed they laid this sweet girl on my chest and I couldn't get over her but I was so tired. I was trying so hard not to fall asleep. I was scared for her to be on me because I felt like I was going to fall asleep for so long.

Scared and overwhelmed are two things I obviously felt a lot. I have to say that I felt like that through my entire pregnancy and I still feel as a new mom. This is hands down the most wonderful feeling I have ever felt even with all of the scary stuff factored in. I am so in love with J. I honestly don't know if I could be more in love with him. This little girl has changed our life in a way that I never knew. We are so overjoyed with Claire Grace. She is perfect and beautiful. She weighed 6 lbs 1 oz and was 18.75 in long. Our life will never be the same and we are so okay with that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment