7.24.2016

Baby Clark: 39 Weeks

No contractions at the beginning of the week. There was a full moon on Tuesday but unfortunately that myth isn't true. J is getting really anxious about this girl. He tells her everyday that she can come out anytime. I try to keep myself busy with chores and work. My feet have gotten so puffy this week--way worse than any time in the past few weeks. I'm truly starting to get to that uncomfortable point. I have felt pretty dang good the last couple of months but I'm starting to go downhill.

Thursday we went to the doctor. J jokingly said to her "let's have this baby today!" Her response was that we needed to talk about that. Thankfully I have gained weight but not so much that it won't be hard to lose and not so much that I have been uncomfortable even though I'm getting there now with all of this water retention. My feet are so puffy the last two days that I can hardly walk. Doc immediately noticed this when she came in the room today and starting pressing on them to see how dehydrated I was. I feel like I can't get enough water the last few days. She then checked my cervix but it was sadly only one cm dilated. She told me that I was showing signs of pre-eclampsia, that my blood pressure was getting high, my legs were swelling and I had protein in my urine then said "let's talk about our options." She thought it was best to have this baby before the weekend since I am due on Monday anyway. She was concerned about me being home all weekend and something going wrong and having an emergency situation. I have truly appreciated how honest and thoughtful Dr. Smith has been throughout this entire experience. I am so happy that she is the doctor that I chose.

The best option that she had for us was to insert a cervical balloon so that she could open up my cervix before she started inducing. She told us that if she just started administering the pitocin right away it probably wouldn't work and I would have to have a c-section because I was not dilated enough for the pitocin to be successful. She explained in detail exactly what would happen and asked if we had any questions. My only question was "you want us to meet you at the hospital tonight?" I was so unprepared for this news/instruction. I had always assumed that she would be here after her due date. I figured I would go in to labor and have all of these contractions and we would drive to the hospital shocked and anxious. Instead we were instructed to go home and grab our things and meet her at the hospital in about an hour. I drove home in complete shock talking to my mom and bawling my eyes out because it just wasn't what I thought would happen and I didn't have the dress clean I wanted to wear home from the hospital. I know I know, priorities. My sweet mom assured me it would all be perfectly fine and that I just needed to calm down. She met Judson and I at our house and helped us grab the last minute items to pack, take out the trash, make our bed. You know all of the ocd things I needed to have done so that I could focus on what was really important in this moment.

All of our last minute necessities were packed and out in the car. We dropped a key off at his moms and were on our way to the hospital. I cannot remember anything that we talked about. Maybe that I was scared and it was how I planned it but I honestly don't remember for sure. It was a whirlwind afternoon and we were both so anxious about what was about to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment